CerritosInk

Reviews of shows from the Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts and other local venues published by the Los Cerritos Community News. The writer and paper are in their twentieth year of covering these events.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Fear City, Ca., United States

"My name is Addison DeWitt. My native habitat is the theater. In it I toil not, neither do I spin. I am a critic and commentator. I am essential to the theatre - as ants to a picnic, as the boll weevil to a cotton field." George Sanders in "All About Eve"

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Magic Kingdom Once Again November 26. 2009


Passages at the Magic Kingdom

Glen Creason


As time flies by in great chunks and Independence Day’s blends into Thanksgiving I once again attempt to push down the brake pedal on chronos and find myself standing before Disneyland where I once stood as a child. While I no longer wear Keds and get a ride from my Mom I still have that same spirit that becomes thrilled by the sight of Main Street and Sleeping Beauty’s castle. This time a few of the hairs that stand on end are gray but in my heart I am just that same kid again. The new kingdom is certainly different from that magical hundred and fifty acres I first roamed but the looks on the young faces we saw all over the park are as fresh as the one I had on that sizzling, over one hundred degree morning back in the days when Ike was president and recession was just the beginning of a word used in church. Thomas Wolfe said you can't go home again but I beg to differ when it comes to Disneyland.
Now there are two parks and I still find Disneyland more to my liking since it is rife with the stages of my life. It may be changed but I mostly see Main street with the spongy asphalt I romped down on opening days; there is the Matterhorn where my Dad took us when I was twelve; Tom Sawyers Island where my tweener buddies and I fought Indians and got booted off the War canoes for being wise-guys; Autopia where I began my baptism into the horrible life of freeway driving in Los Angeles; the bandstand by Tomorrow land where I stood around smoking cigarettes as a goony teen trying to make connection; the Haunted Mansion where I first strolled as a hippie in the day; the Peter Pan ride where I proudly accompanied my little daughter in the eighties; the Pirates of the Caribbean which my Mom hilariously called Pirates of Penzance by mistake and Splash Mountain that I shared with the woman I love yesterday. There is something terribly thrilling to have your tush grabbed by a gorgeous woman you adore while in line for those Pirates of Penzance. When I look at her there is no need for fireworks or parades because that is happening in my heart twenty-four hours a day.
We might be sophisticated and blasé about many things in our lives. We may have seen and done the hard things like losing loved ones and raising children or fighting for a livelihood in a sad economy but there will always be a place, a need for the fantasy that such a place affords. When I walked through this unexpectedly crowded park and took in the sights I felt hope and joy that we all can come together in one happy place and at least pretend that all is right in the world. It’s refreshing, it a battery charger and when it is done with someone you love it can be truly wonderful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home